The Edge of Science
Posted on 29/02/2016
Science and religious belief are often seen as opposites. The first concerns itself with facts confirmed by experiments. The second concerns itself with an openness to things we cannot see or confirm. But today, scientists are aware of a growing overlap which is breaking down walls. Respected physicists now say that we should not disregard the idea that some sort of consciousness (alien intelligence, which some people might call God) has been involved at the time of the Big Bang, and perhaps afterwards.
Furthermore, the biggest theories of modern science, such as string theory, the multiverse, M-theory and so on, cannot be tested by experiments and must be taken purely on faith. Thirdly, there are intriguing parallels between the main elements of quantum physics (“conscious measurement creates reality”) and the ancient principles of spirituality (“the inner world takes precedence over the outer world”). It all adds up to an intriguing new way of seeing reality, for the religious and the non-religious alike.
The speaker, Nury Vittachi, is the author whose work is published in multiple languages by international publishers. Although he has written a range of books, from novels to non-fiction, in recent years, he has specialized in books of science and history for young readers. He has made regular appearances in many media, including the BBC, CNN, the South China Morning Post and many others. His columns appear weekly in newspapers in many countries. In his immediate circle of family and friends, he has atheists, Christians, Muslims and Buddhists. His message is that different belief groups, including atheists, share far more than they realize.
Date: 16 April 2016
Time: 7-9 pm
Venue: 909 CCWU Building, 302-308 Hennessy Rd, Wan Chai, HK
– 7.00 Welcoming
– 7.10 Remarks by PI Exc. Dir.
– 7.15 Talk by Speaker
– 7.45 Q & A
– 8.00 Refreshment Service
– 8.45 Gift Ceramony and Closing Remarks
- International Conference on Children’s Rights and FamilyPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:03+08:00
- Panel on “Islam and Buddhism” DialoguePearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:04+08:00
- Dialogue Between Islam and Buddhism through the Concepts Ummatan Wasatan and Majjhima-PatipadaPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:04+08:00
- Prince Among SlavesPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:04+08:00
- THE EDGE OF SCIENCEPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:05+08:00
- Turkey’s Historical Significance for the Bahá’í FaithPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:05+08:00
- Francis of Assisi and Killed Friars in MoroccoPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:10+08:00
- Heritage of Dialogues between Islam and Confucianism: Chinese Islamic Classic during the later Ming and Qing DynastiesPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:10+08:00
- Turkish Passport & Holocaust VictimsPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:10+08:00
- Religion and Politics in Contemporary TurkeyPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:10+08:00
- Turkey and the Syrian Refugee CrisisPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:28+08:00
- The Invisible Figure; WomenPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:28+08:00
- Europe Under Refugee CrisisPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:28+08:00
- Stories of Syrian Refugees from A Photographer’s FramePearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:28+08:00
- JESUS From The Islamic PerspectivePearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:29+08:00
- RUMI: Paragon of LovePearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:29+08:00
- Turkey & China: An emerging strategic partnership?Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:29+08:00
- “In the Footprints of Francis and the Sultan: A Model for Peacemaking”Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:29+08:00
- Verses of Love – Buddhist, Islamic and Christian Poets on Embracing “the Other”Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:29+08:00
- Harmony in Diversity – Confucianism and IslamPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:29+08:00
- ÇiN’DEN TÜRKİYE’YE 100 ENTELEKTÜEL – 诚邀百名中国专家学者访问土耳其Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:29+08:00
- Global Development and TurkeyPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:29+08:00
- State Collapse and the Rise of the ISIS in Syria and IraqPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:29+08:00
- Media Globalisation – Towards a global unity or domination?Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:30+08:00
- From Local to Global and Back; MY LIFE JOURNEYPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:30+08:00
The views and opinions expressed on this posts/pages are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Pearl Institute, its staff, other authors, members, partners, or sponsors.