Lecture on Islam’s Jesus at CUHK
Posted on 13/5/2015
Few people realize that Jesus was a prominent messenger of God in Islam and that Muslims believe in the return of Jesus. Even among Muslims, it is not well known that there are diverse interpretations of references to Jesus in the Qur’an and the Hadith.
Aiming to remedy this, Islam’s Jesus takes a bold yet candid look at the highly charged topic of Jesus’s place in Islam, exploring some of the religion’s least understood aspects.
Examining multiple intellectual traditions, Zeki Saritoprak made clear the reality of pluralism in the history of Islamic religious scholarship in his speech on 13 May 2015, at CUHK. Actively engaged in efforts to promoted interfaith dialogue and harmony, Saritoprak thoughtfully argued that the shared belief in Jesus presents an excellent opportunity for understanding between Muslims and Christians. Together, they constitute more than half of the world’s population, and such understanding may be a foundation for peace.
“Accessible and readable. Spotlights an important theological theme in a way that both illuminates its internal development in Islamic thought and presents it as a helpful basis for interreligious discussion. The topic is very much in need of teaching and discussion and is a fine example of ‘common ground. “–John Renard, author of Islam and Christianity
“Contains valuable and fascinating material about how classical Muslim theologians treated various aspects of Jesus and, in particular, the role of Jesus in Islamic eschatology. Saritoprak brings new insights from contemporary Turkish thinkers to bear on the issues raised by the Jesus figure in Islamic narratives about the Last Days. “–Marcia Hermansen, author of Shah Wali Allah’s Treatises on Islamic Law
“A refreshingly easy read that makes a complex world of theology and interfaith relations accessible and enjoyable for readers of all backgrounds.”–Jonathan Brown, author of Hadith: Muhammad’s Legacy in the Medieval and Modern World
Zeki Saritoprak is associate professor in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies and the Beddiüzaman Said Nursi Chair in Islamic Studies at John Carroll University. He is the author of numerous works on Islamic theology in English, Turkish, and Arabic.
Invalid Displayed Gallery
- Talk on Islam and Buddhism Dialogue at PIPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:03+08:00
- Panel on Buddhist and Muslim Dialogue at HKUPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:03+08:00
- Talk on Heritage of Dialogues between Islam and ConfucianismPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:05+08:00
- Conferance about Crises of Middle East at BUHKPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:05+08:00
- Lecture on Legacy of Istanbul at HKIEDPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:10+08:00
- PI was at Hong Kong’s 8th Interfaith Celebration of PeacePearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:19+08:00
- Lecture on Islam’s Jesus at CUHKPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:22+08:00
- Talk on Rumi: The Paragon of LovePearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:22+08:00
- Pearl Institute was Partner of Istanbul Summit 2015Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:22+08:00
- Panel on Verses of Love and Embracing the OtherPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:22+08:00
- Talk on Harmony in Diversity; Confucianism and IslamPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:22+08:00
- Seminar on State Collapse and the Rise of the ISIS in Syria and IraqPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:22+08:00
- Christian Foundations for Interfaith DialoguePearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:23+08:00
- Talk on Buddhism and Its Teachings on Religious HarmonyPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:26+08:00
- PI Presented Turkey to Police OfficersPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:27+08:00
- How can “We” Find Peaceful Coexistence?Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:27+08:00
- Gender Issues and MisconceptionsPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:27+08:00
- Misconceptions about Islam: Peace, Violence and Global PoliticsPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:27+08:00
- Hinduism and Interfaith Dialog TalkPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:27+08:00
- Turkey Cuisine/Culture Presentation at HKBUPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:27+08:00
- Noah’s Pudding in the CUHK & NYU Joint Culinary SymposiumPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:27+08:00
- Father Alex Mendez’s Speech on Diaolog in ChristianityPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:27+08:00
- Language Seminar at Polytechnic UniversityPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:28+08:00
- Seminar on Inspiring City; IstanbulPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:28+08:00
- From a Chiristian Perspective: Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) SeminarPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:28+08:00
The views and opinions expressed on this posts/pages are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Pearl Institute, its staff, other authors, members, partners, or sponsors.
Leave A Comment