Pearl Institute Wishes You & Your Family
Very Delightful Eid-ul Adha
Posted on 15/10/2013
Pearl Institute wishes you and your family a pleasent Eid-ul Adha. We wish you this Eid brings peace to you and to entire world.
Eid al-Adha is the time to having understanding of the need to help others and to maintain brotherhood among people. This holy festival is a significant occasion to come together.
During the four-day holiday, which takes place on October. 15-18 this year, Muslims worldwide remember the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son as an act of obedience to God, before God intervened to provide him a ram in his son’s stead.
What does Eid al-Adha commemorate?
Muslims remember and commemorate the trials and triumphs of the Prophet Abraham. The Qur’an describes Abraham as follows:
“Surely Abraham was an example, obedient to Allah, by nature upright, and he was not of the polytheists. He was grateful for Our bounties. We chose him and guided him unto a right path. We gave him good in this world, and in the next he will most surely be among the righteous.” (Qur’an 16:120-121)
One of Abraham’s main trials was to face the command of Allah to kill his only son. Upon hearing this command, he prepared to submit to Allah’s will. When he was all prepared to do it, Allah revealed to him that his “sacrifice” had already been fulfilled. He had shown that his love for his Lord superceded all others, that he would lay down his own life or the lives of those dear to him in order to submit to God.
Why do Muslims sacrifice an animal on this day?
During the celebration of Eid al-Adha, Muslims commemorate and remember Abraham’s trials, by themselves slaughtering an animal such as a sheep, cow, or goat. This action should not misunderstood by others.
It is very important to understand that the sacrifice itself, as practiced by Muslims, has nothing to do with atoning for our sins or using the blood to wash ourselves from sin. This is a misunderstanding by those of previous generations: “It is not their meat nor their blood that reaches Allah; it is your piety that reaches Him.” (Qur’an 22:37)
The symbolism is in the attitude – a willingness to make sacrifices in our lives in order to stay on the Straight Path. Each of us makes small sacrifices, giving up things that are fun or important to us. One who submits his or herself completely to the Lord, is willing to follow His’s commands completely and obediently. It is this strength of heart, purity in faith, and willing obedience that our Lord desires from us.
The Eid also strengthen ties of friendship.
The meat from the sacrifice of Eid al-Adha is mostly given away to others. One-third is eaten by family and relatives, one-third is given away to friends, and one-third is donated to the poor. The act symbolizes our willingness to give up things that are of benefit to us or close to our hearts, in order to follow God’s commands. It also symbolizes our willingness to give up some of our own bounties, in order to strengthen ties of friendship and help those who are in need. We recognize that all blessings come from God, and we should open our hearts and share with others.
- Eid Mubarak 2016Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:02+08:00
- Pearl Institute Wishes a Happy HolidaysPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:05+08:00
- Student at Poly U Gathered for FeastPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:11+08:00
- Upshots of the dialogue in CUHKPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:11+08:00
- Eid-ul Adha ‘Feast of Sharing’ Festival CelebrationPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:11+08:00
- Feast of Sacrifice Celebrated in HKUSTPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:12+08:00
- Noah’s Pudding was at “International Yummies” program organized by VTCPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:12+08:00
- A Very Special Feast Meat at “CityU and PolyU”Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:12+08:00
- Merry Christmas!Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:12+08:00
- Eid ul-Adha for Fun in Kasim Tuet HSPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:12+08:00
- Eiu al-Adha at the Chaiwan MosquePearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:12+08:00
- Eid al-Adha Celebration Night by PIPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:12+08:00
- PI was at Kasim Tuet Eid al-Adha For fun Feast 2011Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:12+08:00
- Ashura event with Hong Kong friends!Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:12+08:00
- Whirling Derwish Performance in PolyUPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:12+08:00
- Cumhuriyetimizin 92. Yildonumu Kutlu OlsunPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:28+08:00
- Pearl Institute Kurban Bayramı MesajıPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:28+08:00
- Happy 2015 & Merry ChristmasPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:29+08:00
- Eid-ul Adha 2014Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:30+08:00
- Pearl Enstitusu Kurban Bayramı MesajıPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:30+08:00
- Happy Hanukkah & ThanksgivingPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:35+08:00
- Diwali Festival 2013Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:35+08:00
- Cumhuriyet’imizin 90. YıldönönümüPearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:35+08:00
- Kurban Bayramı 2013Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:35+08:00
- Eid-ul Adha 2013Pearl Institute2017-06-06T11:38:35+08:00
The views and opinions expressed on this posts/pages are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Pearl Institute, its staff, other authors, members, partners, or sponsors.